Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Main content start

Prospective Participants (First Year Students):

• When is Frosh 101 offered? 
    • This upcoming year (2021-22), Frosh/Transfer 101 will be offered during the Fall quarter.
  • Is Frosh 101 required?
    • No. Frosh/Transfer 101 is an optional program/course that interested students can opt into during the Fall quarter.
  • Can I take the course for credit? 
    • Participants will enroll in a two-unit course, specific to the dormitory that they are assigned to. Courses are listed as UAR101 for Frosh 101 and UAR201 for Transfer 101. 
  • Can I audit the course? 
    • We do not allow audits because the nature of the Frosh 101 sections is very community based and involves vulnerable conversations that require trust building. Regular attendance and participation help facilitate this trust building. This means that students who are enrolled are expected to participate actively in their sections and auditing may change the group dynamic.
  • Can I take it for a grade?
    • The class is currently only being offered on a C/NC grading basis.
  • Do I have to take a section in my dorm?
    • Students are strongly encouraged to enroll in a section within the dorm that they are assigned to. 
  • Can I select the section I’m in?
    • Students will be able to choose which section within their dorm that they would like to enroll in. We encourage students to select a section time that they can fully commit to attending the entire quarter, given that Frosh/Transfer 101 sections only meet once a week. 
  • Do I have to be an incoming student?
    • Yes, only first-year students may enroll. That means incoming Frosh and Transfer students.
  • How much work is involved? 
    • Students will attend a weekly 80-minute section led by two co-leads. Students will primarily be graded on their attendance and active participation during the class, but will also be expected to complete four survey-style reflection assignments after the completion of every module. 

Prospective Co-Leads (Sophomore/Juniors):

• Do I need to have taken Frosh/Transfer 101 to be a co-lead?
    • No, but it is highly recommended. Only in rare circumstances will exceptions be made.
  • What are the benefits of being a co-lead?
    • Being a co-lead is an opportunity to learn and practice leadership and group facilitation skills. Many co-leads find value in giving back through building community and mentoring new students. All co-leads will also receive a stipend for every quarter they participate. 
  • What is required to become a co-lead?
    • We will open the application process during the Winter quarter. Please see the application process here.
  • When is the application deadline to apply to be a co-lead?
    • Co-lead applications for the 2021-22 cohort have closed. Applications for the next cohort of Frosh/Transfer 101 co-leads will open during Winter quarter. Exact dates will be updated on this site once available. 
  • When will I know if I’ve been accepted to be a co-lead?
    • Selected students will be informed of their application decision before Spring enrollment opens as all accepted co-leads are required to enroll in the first course of the training series, UAR 194A, in the Spring.
  • Do I need to take both UAR194A and UAR194B?
    • Yes, co-leads are required to complete both courses sequentially in order to lead a section in the Fall. Co-leads will complete UAR194A in the Spring and complete UAR194B in the following Fall. 
  • How are UAR194A and UAR194B graded?
    • Both classes are currently only being offered on a C/NC grading basis.
  • Do I get to choose my co-lead?
    • No, co-lead pairings will be assigned by the Frosh/Transfer 101 leadership team during the summer before the program begins. Co-leads will be informed of their pairings in August and complete an orientation together before the quarter begins. 
  • Do I get to pick the dorm I lead in?
    • No, final dorm section assignments will be handled by the Frosh/Transfer 101 leadership team during the summer before the program begins. However, co-leads will be able to indicate their preferences in a form that the Frosh/Transfer 101 leadership team will send out mid-summer, which will be taken into consideration during the matching process. Co-leads will be informed of their dorm assignments in August. 
  • Is it a paid position?
    • All co-leads will receive stipends during the quarters in which they lead.

Prospective Co-Leads (Dorm RAs)

• Do I get to pick my co-lead?
    • No, co-lead pairings will be assigned by the Frosh/Transfer 101 leadership team during the summer before the program begins. Co-leads will be informed of their pairings in August. 
  • Will I only have residents from my dorm?
    • Dorm RAs can expect that most, if not all, of the students in their section will be residents from their dorm.
  • Do dorm RA co-leads need to take UAR194A and UAR194B? 
    • It is not required, but they may audit or enroll in the course for additional support and training.
  • Is it a paid position? 
    • RA co-leads will also receive stipends during the quarter in which they lead.

Prospective TAs (Sophomore/Junior):

• How can I apply to be a TA?
  • When is the application process?
    • Applications typically open during Winter quarter. We will invite qualified applicants to interview and send out decisions before Spring enrollment opens. 
  • How much work is involved with being a TA?
    • TAs attend brief weekly leadership meetings to prepare for UAR194A and UAR194B. TAs are expected to attend all class sessions as they will be assigned a group of co-leads to guide through discussions and activities. They will also hold regular office hours to support co-leads outside of class. 
  • Do I need to have taken Frosh/Transfer 101 to be a TA?
    • It is preferred that TAs have experience with the program and that includes having taken Frosh 101 as well as having been a sophomore co-lead.
  • Do TAs get paid?
    • Yes, TAs receive a stipend similar to co-leads.
  • Do TAs receive special training?
    • Yes, TAs are trained during orientation and are provided professional development opportunities with the Center for Teaching and Learning.